Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Feels like SUMMER!!!

Hey gang!! Quick note to update the week here:

Last Wednesday was a Korean national holiday called Children's Day where the entire country (and most of Eastern Asia) is off and supposed to treat their kids to something special (I guess??). They don't move their holidays to cause a 3-day weekend here so Weds it stayed which broke up the week BEAUTIFULLY! with no kids of my own to treat to anything, Sarah and I treated ourselves to a relaxing day downtown including, a tatoo parlor that was so sketchy we had to RUN away from what Sarah had been considering, getting abducted by giant slices of toast - seen below, the arcade, batting cages and finally Galma park right near my house. We were chatting at the park with muc and enjoying a beer when i got recruited into some pick up basketball! sorry to generalize, but people are short here and basketball is NOT the most popular game in Korea - what i'm saying is; for the first time in my life i felt good at basketball! one more advantage to add to the list! ;) the whole day was beautiful and, naturally it beat the pants off of working!


Friday came and we celebrated our Irish friend, Paddy's, early birthday at one of our new favorite local bars, "yellow taxi". the Irish sterotypes stop with his name however since his birthday shot request was not for whiskey, but TEQUILA. Cheers, buddy! sorry we missed out on Busan Saturday night! :) Picture below is Paddy, Alastair and a friend of Al's.



Saturday we went to one of Daejeon's theme parks, Kumdori Land with muc and had a blast! i'm especially proud of my newest addition to the international hug-five collection shown below and proudly displayed as my facebook profile pic. I'm reasonably sure i saw the mascott teaching it to a couple of korean children shortly after. ;)



picture below shows muc maybe not enjoying the rides as much as I did! :) sorry muc, too funny to not post!

Sunday morning, I attempted to run a 10K race but got shut out at the gate. I couldn't figure out how to register online since there was no English function and so i figured i'd show up and go for it at the gate... not so lucky. made our way back to the rock wall later on in the day though and that always makes up for any misfortunes that may have happened. Another good friend from back home who came over here with me, Marilyn, came with us and overcame her fear of heights enough to climb all the way to the top of the 60+ foot wall on her first go! was very impressive and i have a feeling she'll be back! :)

Otherwise, everything is GOOD to say the least. enjoyed the more relaxing weekend in daejeon quite a bit as it will be the last one for a while - some wild and crazy weekend adventures come up each of the next 5 or 6 ending with two glorious weekends back home and adding another little sis to the family - no my mom's not pregnant.... i mean Michelle is marrying Tony.
Speaking of Mama, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MA!!! you're the best and I love you a ton!! Thank you sooo much for all the love and support over the years! i'll give you a call in the (my) morning (your Sunday evening).
SUMMERTIME!! GO LIVE!




2 comments:

  1. Andy, I love your blog! Your enthusiasm from life is inspiring!! You could almost talk me into running a marathon... oh wait, you already did! HA! June is coming and I can't wait to see you!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suze!! very very excited to see everyone!!!! just over a month! :)

    ReplyDelete